The Rainbow Pride Auckland Walking Parade is an uplifting event bringing a carnival-style atmosphere to Ponsonby Road with impressive, large-scale un-motorised floats. Participants and onlookers can expect a fun day of rainbow families, dancing, performance, plenty of music and key messaging from the community.
The 2020 Rainbow Pride Walking Auckland Parade takes place on Ponsonby Road Saturday 29 February. The parade commences at 5.30pm and finishes no later than 7.00pm.
Each parade group will be assigned a specific starting location within the mustering area, depending on the order you appear in the parade.
Parade Concept / Kaupapa
Aotearoa New Zealand’s rainbow communities comprise of many diverse groups and individuals. The objective of the parade is to provide a safe place for rainbow communities to have a voice, celebrate acceptance, and demonstrate the value of diversity and inclusion.
- The theme for 2020 is Colour & Celebration.
- Through its management of the parade, Rainbow Pride Auckland (RPA) aims to provide a platform to showcase the creativity, storytelling and talent of the rainbow communities.
- We encourage participants to use the parade to celebrate their successes and struggles in a way that fosters growth, diversity, inclusion and togetherness within and between all rainbow communities.
Eligibility – Who Can Enter
Applications from individuals, groups or organisations from within Aotearoa New Zealand’s rainbow communities are welcomed. Applications from community groups or organisations that are not a part of Aotearoa New Zealand’s rainbow communities are also welcomed.
All entries must…
- demonstrate a strong connection with our rainbow communities,
- communicate a clear, supportive and positive message,
- be reflective of the Parade concept/kaupapa for 2020.
Parade entries must not…
- be discriminatory, prejudicial, demonstrate racist behaviours or breach any defamation law. Entries will not be accepted from discriminatory organisations, or organisations whose policies and procedures discriminate against or fail to uphold the human rights of the rainbow communities.
Rainbow Pride Auckland reserves the right to decline entries that have not complied with the guidelines, or that act in any way contrary to Rainbow Pride Auckland’s mission and objectives.
We’re here to help. RPA representatives are available to offer advice and support, and to help ensure your parade entry reaches its potential. Wherever possible, we will assist you to inspire, excite and surprise the audience!
RPA encourages corporate organisations to “adopt” a community group to help with the logistics of creating their parade entry. This could involve financial assistance, use of venue for meetings and rehearsals, utilising your networks or sharing other resources that belong to your organisation.
We’re matchmakers. Talk to us if you’re an organisation stumped for a match to a community group – or just want to consider your options for a great alignment.